Every year for the past few years, I've participated in a craft weekend getaway with a group of awesome women from all walks of life. The first year, I created cards all weekend. Last year, I worked on some online photo books. This year, I upholstered a chair. Yes, it was quite the jump. I watched a video on YouTube so I figured I had it handled. In reality, it took me about 4 times longer than the videographer promised and it was about 100 times more difficult. I am a novice sewer and this was my very first time upholstering a chair. In fact, I actually forgot the hammer and screwdriver needed to take off the fabric. I had to borrow it from a neighbor. After much encouragement from the ladies (and I can honestly say I would have given up after the first night if it wasn't for them), I completed the chair! And it turned out fabulously!
Originally, I had plans to put it in my daughters' bedroom - but it's in our living room right now. It's SUPER comfortable - and it's small enough to not get in the way. It sits on a rocking pedestal, which adds to the comfort.
For all you out there who are thinking about tackling a re-upholstry project... do it! It was hard, but totally worth the effort! I'm looking forward to my next project.
Because this was my first time, I didn't want to spend a ton of cash. The chair was in our storage unit and would have eventually made it into a dumpster (and it was originally a hand-me-down). The fabric was 50% off at the fabric store (WOW!). I reused the piping (although I did recover it) and the buttons. The cushioning was the most expensive. I reused as much as I could, purchased a 4x2 piece of batting (I was shocked at the price!) and purchased three throw pillows from a local thrift store that I took apart and used. I also had to buy staples. The whole project cost approximately $75. Not too shabby!